Tuesday, June 09, 2009

grown-up chaos

when you're young you like to pretend you're a grown-up because you assume that there isn't anyone taller/wiser/better to tell you what to do, who to be, which vegetables you have to eat. to a child, the adult world means freedom without rules.

well, as a very recent graduate, I will tell you that a life without rules is exactly what any grown-up would imagine it to be -- chaos.

this is not to say that I'm not trying to get it/keep it together. things in my life that appear to be in order:

1) I have a new job (gig? what do you call a job with an end date) that I am basically obsessed with, and it just fell into my lap. I'm the nightlife editor for inside new york, a guidebook put together by columbia students every year [also -- I seem to only tackle "grown-up" projects with fellow lions, ie - putting on an original musical (varsity show), putting together a nyc guidebook (inside new york)].

2) I am looking for a three-bedroom apartment with two of my dearest friends. it is a cruel, cruel broker-world out there, and I insist that all of the good, three-bedroom with a living room apartments on the uws are hidden from us. maybe they're just all in brooklyn.

3) I have been **GASP** going to the gym. REGULARLY. if that doesn't mean I'm a grown-up who takes care of herself, than I don't know what does.

4) the post-graduation bender has appeared to have subsided. this is not to say that I've experienced some "bendettes" in the past few weeks -- it is my responsibility as nightlife editor, after all.

it seems that I update less and catch-up more on this blog than I mean to. perhaps the real world will leave me more time for self-indulgent internet prose. that's what being a grown-up is all about, right?

No comments: